Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Two AMAZING movies

I got to see 2 incredible movies today, and I was only expecting to see one...




I went to see Spiderman 2 at a local theatre today. I have to say I was really expecting the whole experience to be a bit less pleasant than it was. I saw Matrix:Revolutions in Turkey and the theatre was very uncomfortable, and the quality of the film was scratchy and washed out. I was kind of expecting the same conditions here, and was glad to be wrong.

When you buy a ticket, the guy shows you a layout on a screen and shows you the available seats to pick from. You can also buy tickets online (and pick your seat too)... Come to think of it, it's fairly impressive that in a country where it seems technology has been kind of haphazardly strewn about, the system works very well.


Anyway, the movie was VERY good, effects and story-wise. The only minor complaint I have is the editing. There were 3 obvious parts where they snipped out risque boy/girl action (ie. standing too close, smoochy stuff). What I thought was ironic was that they cut those "lusty" parts, yet kept in a scene with Kirstin Dunst is the damsel-in-distress (chained to a wall, torn clothes, soaking wet) and they didn't see fit to clip her and her wet shirt (and nipples). Oh well, I'm not going to try understand it.

Ok, so the BEST movie I saw was when I got to work. My Father's Day box had arrived, and it included the first episode of The Amazing RYAN Show!! Shelley did a great job with this, with a DVD case (with appropriate credits), a label on the disc, and a menu on the DVD. It's a little choppy, but I'm sure that's because of the crappy computer I left her. Considering the under-powered little box she's got there (and how problematic it's been lately), I'd say she did a great job.
When I get home I'll beef it up and we'll start mass-producing these things... get your orders in now folks, they're gonna go fast!

In other news, I'm really getting ready to get home, especially after seeing the video. I even bought my traditional "travelling shoes"... See, I have this urge to buy new tennis shoes when I travel. It's one of my few vices (computer gaming is another...) Hey, I don't drink or smoke or gamble (excessively), I have to maintain a few bad habits.

Speaking of bad habits, my DVD collection continues to swell. My latest thing has been Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I've got my hands on five season, and am currently halfway thru the fourth one. I've always liked the show, but never really understood the whole storyline. For those of you that don't know, Joss Whedon is the creator of BtVS, and Firefly also. In the final season, Nathan Fillion (Capt. Malcom Reynolds from Firefly) plays Caleb, the big bad guy, and I wanted to know the storyline leading up to his part. Hardcore Whedonites have said that Caleb was the scariest bad guy in the entire series, which I think must be considered pretty impressive considering he acts the part of a southern baptist preacher.

Anyway, that's the news from the desert. Love to all!

No comments: