Saturday, August 07, 2004

Scotti's Guide to Surviving the HEAT ... and MORE things I saw today that you probably didn't...

As you may (or may not) know, I used to live in Florida ... and Florida gets warm. I used to think that it was hot and miserable there, but that was before I spent time in Kuwait. Now I have a completely different frame of reference...

So I thought you might enjoy some of the ways we deal with the ridiculous temperatures we experience here.

1. Keep M&M's and Kit Kats in the freezer.

2. Wear loose fitting clothing, with BIG pockets (cargo pants/shorts work GREAT)

3. Have a seperate small fridge for soda, water, and juice.
      You want to play with the settings on this, and get it set JUST cold enough so that the soda doesn't freeze. Ours was actually set perfect until someone screwed around with it ... When you opened a Sprite you could actually watch the liquid turn to slush from the top to the bottom. I haven't been able to get it back to there since then...

4. When you leave the apartment, grab a cold drink and put it in one of the big cargo pockets in your pants or shorts. Grab a Kit Kat or M&Ms bag (buy the individual bags.. trust me you don't want to eat a 1lb bag of M&M's at once) and put it in the other pocket.

5. NEVER EVER forget your sunglasses. The wind and sun are constant factors... Also, your sunglasses have the added benefit of (see 6)

6: Get the Croakies that have the wide band in the back. Soak this in cold water occasionally. You'd be amazed how great this feels on the back of your neck...

7. Gas is cheaper than water here.. by about 4:1. Gas is about $0.65/gallon. Water is worth every fil.
      (Even better if you're on a military base ... water can be found in coolers on ice most anywhere. Most places even stock Gatorade)

8. If you're fortunate to have a coffee or ice cream shop (JJ Bean, Baskin Robbins, etc) at your location, treat yourself to a large vanilla shake every once in a while. It will probably cost about $6, and is worth every penny.
      Chocolate is just not as refreshing (to me anyway) in this environment, and it usually tastes gritty. I have enough grit in my mouth from blowing sand, I don't want to taste it in my drink too.

9. NEVER EVER forget about that Kit Kat or bag of M&M's you put in your pocket. It feels nice and cool on your legs as your going outside. It will warm up quick... you will forget about it shortly after it reaches the same temperature as your body. You will remember it shortly after you feel something squishy in your pocket.

10. Buy a fan for your bedroom. I don't care if you've got an AC that can freeze raw meat, it will reach a point in the late afternoon when it just can't cool your apartment/tent, especially if you're trying to sleep during the day.
      - unless of course you actually are staying in a hotel or local house that was built with some kind of forethought. Marble works the best... the cheap cinder block buildings only retain HEAT well, they don't shed it at all. You can touch our building at 4am and you can still feel the heat from the previous day. I only wish I were kidding about this.


I think the other way I deal with the heat is by just not acknowledging it. I have to resist the urge to beat someone senseless when they constantly point out "gosh it's hot here", as if none of us were keen enough to notice.

Moving on to those things I saw today, and you (probably) didn't.

The USS Wasp is in port, and I'm supposed to be getting a chance to walk on it in the next couple of days before it ships out. This thing is amazing! You can get all the details about this ship HERE, and see all the pictures I've taken so far in the Latest Photos album.



Also, Col Hagan is leaving soon, so we went shopping downtown,
and had dinner at TGI Fridays.






... and as we were leaving... this passed us:



My mom can tell you how many Lamborghini posters I had in my bedroom when I was growing up. This is the new Lamborghini Murciélago and it was ironic to see it, considering I had just downloaded a few pictures to use as a background.

That's all I've got for now. I'll leave you with something I found the other day, and laughed out loud. Be forewarned, it's uses the "F" word... as you can tell from the title:

The Top Ten Times in History When Using the "F" Word was Appropriate



No comments: