Wednesday, August 13, 2003

Day 3: Gas Masks (and other assorted fun)

Well, not much to report here. Today was the first day that we actually did something resembling preparing for deployment! The past couple days have been more focused on positively identifying our remains, then actually teaching us stuff that will prevent them for actually HAVING to do so... (apologies for the morbidity of that statement, but it's accurate). Mostly we've been talking to doctors, dentists, lawyers, accountants, etc; all who have to sign-off on our "readiness" for deployment. It's a rough system, but I can see where most of it is necessary. It's not a very EFFICIENT system, but from what I'm learning of the military, "efficiency" is not their goal.

So now I know how to assemble and service a standard military issue gas mask, a skill I'm hoping I will never have to use, of course. Tomorrow we're promised "Death by PowerPoint", which is basically an endless barrage of PowerPoint slides and other various presentations. Our platoon Sgt hinted that there are various bethods for getting out of it, and I'll probably use one of those loopholes. I'll just grab the PowerPoint file, and all the handouts, and speed-read. Finish their 6 hour presentation in about 20 mins. =)

For added excitement, I got word that I'm being considered for shuffling again. Meaning, they are re-considering where to put me for maximum effect (damage). I've decided that I'm not going to tell anyone where I'm going anymore. Whenever anyone asks, I'm just going to say "over there". It's about as accurate as I can be at this point.

The only DEFINITE travel plans I have at this point are leaving for NJ on Saturday. I have a few things I need to accomplish there, but they're going to depend on where I'm going.

I switched hotels today, to one that has 'net access in the rooms. When I got settled, turns out it's not working. I'm sitting in the exec lounge right now, and I unplugged the connection to their public machine. (of course I asked first... sorta...)

Ok, that's all I've got right now. Shelley got the new bedroom set today, and she sounded very happy. It is, I believe, the first ACTUAL new furniture purchase we've made, because we've always lucked into great used furniture. That and the fact that we got a new bed too, she's very happy and comfortable, and that's MY goal, of course!

I'm going to have some time in the next couple of days to get some pictures. Ft. Bliss is HUGE (something like 1.1 million acres), and has a lot of interesting things stationed here. Not to mention the fact that White Sands is attached to it, so I hope to make the drive and get some pictures of that!

Hugs and kisses to everyone! (well, those of you that want them... some of you that visit here I have no plans or desire to ever hug and kiss you... it would just be too weird... you know who you are! :P )

No comments: