Monday, March 06, 2006

A lousy way to start the day...

We took Ryan to the emergency room Sunday morning, which is something I was hoping I wouldn't have to put on my blog for at least a couple more years...

One of the ways I try to calm him down when he's upset is by telling him to breathe. I ask him to calm down, take a deep breath, and try to explain why he's upset. This may sound a bit advanced for a two year old, but I'd bet you'd be surprised how often it works with him. I'm sure I've said it before, but he's THAT amazing...

For the past few days he's been showing signs of allergies. This is the time of year when the farmers are burning their fields, and it puts tons of airborne crap out there for the allergic and asthmatic to suffer. It's never had much of an effect on me, except for the occasional eye irritation, but it beats Shelley up pretty bad. And now, we're guessing, it does the same to Ryan. Saturday afternoon and night we used the nebulizer on him to help with his breathing, and it did seem to alleviate the problem a little bit. Sunday morning, however, he was definitely struggling. I woke up to the sound of him crying, and gasping for air. I tried to get him to calm down and breathe, but between gasps he said, "can't ... breathe ... dada". Needless to say it broke my heart. We gave him another treatment, but it didn't seem to help much. You could still hear him wheezing, and taking very shallow breaths.

So we called his pediatrician's office, and asked for either his doctor or the doctor on call. She called us back and after we told her everything that had been going on, she suggested a trip to the emergency room. A couple hours (and charmed nurses) later, he was breathing much better, we had new medicine for the nebulizer, and some decongestant. By the time he was done with his nap, he was breathing nearly normal, and ready to play again...



No Shelley, I have NO idea how he got his shirt wet...



Also, Shelley's grandmother just celebrated her 92nd birthday!



In other news...

YEAH... RIGHT!!!






No comments: