Sunday, August 01, 2004

Kuwait Bans Fahrenheit 9/11

Scotsman.com News - Latest News - Kuwait Bans Fahrenheit 9/11

Of course, you can get a pirated version at any store in Kuwait. I've had it for weeks now.

In other interesting Kuwait news, supposedly we've been told "not to go downtown between August 2nd and August 10th". I haven't confirmed this yet, but it just strikes me as incredibly asinine, especially considering this was handed down to us on August 1st. Immediately a few contractors went downtown to hit the ATM, since they wouldn't be "allowed" to go for the next week or so... as if TOMORROW we'll be in MORTAL DANGER... but today's ok. (Apparently the terrorists are busy on the 1st, then have something else planned on the 11th, but this week works for them...)

Let me stress the fact that there has REALLY been nothing other than "chatter" to make anyone believe the threat has increased here, and in my estimation (which is admittedly limited in this case), the threat is no greater today than it was 6 months ago. If you read our "threat assesment briefings" we get down here, you would think we're dodging mortar rounds all the way back to our apartment. The truth is we regularly stop in this "warzone" to shop, eat, and take in the local culture. It's no more dangerous than, say, East St. Louis ... Actually, that's probably more dangerous (anyone out there remember the bachelor party?).

... here's an old joke, with updated characters:

An airplane was about to crash; there were 5 passengers on board, but only 4 parachutes.

The first passenger said, "I am Kobe Bryant, the best NBA basketball player. The Lakers need me, I can't afford
to die." So he took the first pack and left the plane.

The second passenger, Hillary Clinton said, "I am the wife of the former US President, a Senator from New York and a
potential future president And I am the smartest woman in American history, so America's people don't want
me to die." She took the second pack and jumped out of the plane.

The third passenger, John Kerry, said, "I'm a Senator, and a decorated war hero from the Army of the United States of
America". I am also going to be my party's nominee for President. So he grabbed the pack next to him and jumped.

The fourth passenger, President George W. Bush, said to the fifth passenger, a 10-year-old schoolgirl, "I have lived a
full life, and served my country well I will sacrifice my life and let you have the last parachute."

The girl said, "That's okay. There's a parachute left for you. America's smartest woman took my schoolbag."

No comments: