Friday, August 27, 2004

Sitting in Denver...

I'm in the terminal in Denver, and since I had to re-check my baggage going through customs, I snagged a pair of shorts and have managed to cover myself up. Crisis averted. I guess I should clarify that even though JJ showed nipple, at no time was I in any danger of "outshining" her... I was just showing more leg than usual... my entire inner thigh to be exact. It was very sexy. Sorry, no pictures.

My next rant is just one that cannot wait. I was standing in the line for Immigration and was talking to a guy that had just returned from Kuwait also. He's ex-military and was contracting with a security outfit. He had spent two months in and out of Kuwait and Iraq, and said he was just fed up. I get the impression that the money was good, but not good enough to warrant more time there.

But here's the kicker. After we cleared Immigration I was in the Customs area gathering my bags. I had checked one large bag and my footlocker with my computer, and had 3 carry-ons. There was a porter there who offered his services, and I said, "Sure! I've been carrying this crap for 7000 miles... you can carry it for a while!". As I was putting my bags on his luggage carrier, an elderly woman noticed one of my bags had a "Kuwait Airport Security" tag on it, printed in English and Arabic. She looked at it for several seconds, then looked at me, and then the porter. I remembered seeing her in line in Immigration listening to the conversation I was having with the security contractor. She looked back at me and said, "Aren't you ashamed of yourself for making all that money?". It got really quiet around us (about 15-20 people in a criss-crossing line... very audible). I said, "Excuse me?". She said, "Aren't you ashamed that you've made all that money while soldiers are getting killed over there?". I waited a beat to make sure EVERYONE could hear me, then I slowly and loudly said, "No, not really, but I am ashamed of you for asking such an ignorant question." She turned away and started mumbling something and I heard 2 or 3 people say "well said" and "amen". I looked around and saw many people nodding their heads and in obvious agreement with me. A couple were giving me dirty looks, but I just looked at them, hoping they would have something to add. I had just spent 11 hours on a flight with my shorts ripped open, waiting in lines, and basically miserable. That this woman had the audacity to look down at me without knowing all the facts... without knowing ANY facts was just amazing to me.

Ok... enough about that. I'll be home in about two hours, and this will all be behind me. I doubt I'll have time to post anything for the next couple of days, so don't worry that my plane crashed in the last 250 miles. If I even THINK the plane is going down I'm storming the cockpit and taking over. I'm sure all the hours I've logged in Microsoft Flight Simulator will be a big help to them.

... and yes mother, I will call you when I'm home. :P sheesh

No comments: