Saturday, March 12, 2005

Battlestar Galactica is digital crack...

... and Carl Goldsmith is my dealer. Carl is one of my co-workers here, and he's a newsgroup whore... and I mean that with the utmost respect. Newsgroups (for those of you that aren't Internet experts) are online message boards, arranged by subject. These are also used for file sharing; long before software programs like Napster allowed people to share files directly from their own computes, newsgroups were doing the same job.

For years now, they've been used to upload file segments of movies and software, and then other programs assemble these segments into something useable. It's one of the 'net's oldest uses, and I'm amazed that the RIAA hasn't gone after the servers that host these newsgroups and the software that facilitates it... but I'm also extremely glad, because otherwise I wouldn't be enjoying BG right now. Carl has managed to procure the first 6 episodes so far, with 3 more on the way. I have no idea what episode is on SciFi channel right now, because I have refused to risk going to any of the fansites and ruin the surprise.

This show is incredible! Every episode I'm more hooked on it. The special effects are top-notch, the storyline is amazing, and the performances by the actors are simply fantastic. That's a lot of superlatives in a sentence, I know... and I haven't ranted about a television show like this since Firefly. Don't get me wrong... Firefly is still my all-time favorite, but BG is a close second.

If you get a chance, and haven't seen any of the episodes, I highly recommend it. The storyline is fairly complex, and bears little resemblence to the original; so you might want to make sure you catch the mini-series first. This really isn't something you can just pickup and catch on right away. Fortunately, the do a very good "re-cap" sequence at the beginning, but it assumes you know a lot of the story already.

Ok, that's all I've got for you right now. Between working, sleeping, and studying (and lately watching BG), I haven't had much time for picture taking, but I'm getting down to my SIX WEEK mark, and need to start getting all my "tourist trips" out of the way. Oh, and speaking of being a tourist, I'm officialy NOT ... that's right, as of 2 days ago I'm an official Kuwaiti resident... only took them a year and a half to get it done, and just under 2 months left before I leave... typical Kuwaiti dealings...

Love to all!

No comments: