Thursday, August 21, 2003

This is better...

I just hadn't walked far enough! I found a "Network Cafe", and now I'm sitting with MY laptop, using their wireless access (had to pay for it, of course, but it beats paying .30 euros/min.. and no, I have no idea how much that is in $). I just got 20 euros from an ATM, and I'll check the statement to see the conversion later. I'm sure I could find it online, but right now, I just don't care.

Well now that I have access on my own system, I can paste what I had typed earlier and saved on here:

The flight from Newark to Amsterdam was totally uneventful. If you’ve never taken an international flight, I can tell you it’s a bit different from domestic. Our plane was a 767, and it sat 7 people wide; 2 on each side, 3 in middle. The most noticeable difference was everyone has an LCD monitor in front of them, and can cycle through different TV shows (Friends, CSI, Frasier, etc…) and a couple of recent run movies. Every seat has an attached remote control for controlling the channel, as well as the overhead light. You geek/gamers out there will be jazzed to know this remote did triple time: remote control, satellite phone, and game controller . There were 10 cheezy games available to play, and phone calls were a bargain rate of $2.99 setup and $6/minute! Since the flight left at 10pm, and I had been up since 6am, I didn’t really fiddle around with much of anything, because I was just too wiped. One of the cool things about this flight was the constant display on the main cabin monitor, which showed a graphic representation of our current position, as well as altitude, speed, and various time information (time at origin, time at destination, estimated time of arrival, etc.)

Right now, I’m sitting at the gate for my next flight, which is still only a short 4.5 hours away. I’m sure I’ll eventually get up and wander around, but right now, I’m just content to stretch out and relax. My next flight is about 7 hours, and I’ll be getting there around 11pm local time (3pm MST … I think).


we now return you to the present time ... or something like it.

I just realized something depressing. I paid for my meal with my 20 euros, and got all kinds of money back (that I don't have a clue about... I can assume the waitress knows.. or knows that __I__ don't know... hehe)

Anyway, that made me realize that I'm going to have to figure out currency conversions for my expense report. If I tell them they owe me 200euros, it will take them 6 months to figure it out (including time spent punishing me for requesting payment in foreign currency...)

ok, so that's all I've got for now. I'm going to go find a nice comfy chair to sit in, and finish downloading my email before this battery dies. I don't have an AC adapter here, so it's just going to have to wait until I get around to finding one.

BTW, for those of you I already told, the backpack is AWESOME. It's been a big help, and beats lugging around multiple carry-ons.

Talk to you soon!


No comments: